Monday, October 11, 2010

My topic

For my topic in the ethics of food cluster I decided to write about the ongoing violence towards animals, the animals we eat. Many people believe that just because their food has some sort of label on it "assuring" their food was well-treated throughout it's life time, the food is safe to buy and no guilt should be felt. One example is the humane care label that is being posted on egg cartoons in America, apparently letting the customer know that the chicken wasn't treated violently, but it's exactly the opposite. Not only chickens but all types of farm animals undergo some form of abuse in order for their "job" to be fulfilled. The reason why I came up with this project is because this issue is an ongoing problem that consumer seem to ignore even though they're the ones keeping these food giants in business. After reading a few of the books assigned by my professors I began to see the cruelty that these animals face. A small description of animal cruelty towards the animals is the bone development in chicken, normally chicken take about 2-3 months in order to fully develop but due to selective breeding and other methods of reproductions chickens now only take 6 weeks maximum in order to be slaughtered and sent to a supermarket near you. I believe this topic can relate to everyday life because whenever anyone goes grocery shopping many decisions are involved, hopefully by writing about this topic the reader may stop and think next time they go in their local supermarket and decide to buy that chicken breast or ground beef. Some of the themes of my project will be how to they are treated from the very first moment they come to this world to the very point where they placed on a styrofoam plate wrapped in plastic, also how and what they are fed. A few things that I hope to learn from this project are what really happens to these animals in farms, also get a sense of what they feel like when they are abused. I hope to inspire every single person that reads my project, to make better decisions and start to realize where their food really comes from. Also making readers realize that "organic" or "healthy" food isn't so healthy, because they're myriad forms and words in order to lure consumers to buy these foods, all masqueraded under one big umbrella.

4 comments:

  1. What's up Jesus,
    I was actually gonna make this the same theme of my project but i guess this is a popular subject so i might choose another. Nevertheless, this is brilliant. I agree with you 100% all throughout your blog on how people need to open their eyes when it comes to the production of our food from birth to slaughter. One thing you should mention is the outbreak on salmonella found in the eggs just last month. It is closely related to the theme and it should also be taken into consideration in terms of the animal (chicken) giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I was going to read your blog until I seen the color of your text. It is very hard to read and it just automatically threw me off. Im sure your project would be and could be a successfull one accoring to your first sentence. So for your next blog post I highly recommend you to change the color of your text so that it is readable.
    No hard feelings :)
    -Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, I wasn't aware that the font was green i guess it saved like that on my profile. Also this project may be very popular but then again information may vary because of different sources. I would also like to add, thanks for the 2 topics i'm going to make sure I use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's more I like it :) ... I am able to read it now... Well now that I read it .. I think Your project is a good idea because I am heartbroken about the way animals are treated (even though i still eat them) and I think the harsh reality should be shown to the light!!!
    -Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete